Sunday, July 31, 2011

The Kinnie, July 30th 2011

A Brown caught on a glass bead-head nymph
A new spot was found on the Kinnickinnic that looks to promise large fish. On a sweltering day with high humidity, the fishing was not fantastic, but the one brown pulled from a shallow pool was of some size.  The trout taken was in a prime lie (right outside of the ideal current, but hidden).  There were plenty of places where the river bottle-necked creating turbulent deeper pools on the end of the neck. At the end of the pool, or the tail, is where bigger trout like to hold.  

A nice Brown before release
 There were also many good visible seams in the water where trout wait just outside of the turbulence and wait for food to drift past.  There were a few fish rising, but none would rise to the variety of flies offered.  The trout taken was caught on one of my glass bead-head nymphs I  tied this past winter.


A very large, deep pool
I am excited to return to this new spot in the future.  At the end of the day, I found an extremely large and deep pool with a nice current and many fish rising.  By this point in the day however, I was out of my nymphs, sinkers and strike indicators and too many kayakers were passing by and stirring up the waters.  I am eager to see what this spot tholds in the
future.

No comments:

Post a Comment