Monday, August 22, 2011

Knife River, Two Harbors

The Knife river is fairly shallow
The Knife River is a small river that feeds into Lake Superior.  It is decent for trout fishing, and can be accessed by following highway 61 out of Duluth, and then going west on county road 11 till you cross the river.
I was the only person fishing on this Sunday
You can park on the side of the road and walk upstream.  Waders were not necessary as the majority of the river is less than a foot deep.  As you walk the river, you will encounter several shallow pools that hold fish.
A Wulff tied by the author

My fly of choice for the day was the Royal Wulff (as described in the previous blog entry).  As soon as this fly hit the water, a trout would take it.  By the end of the day, this fly was too chewed up to be used.

The Knife River is beautiful and quiet


A rainbow caught with a Wulff
The majority of fish caught were small rainbow trout.  Although small, it was fun watching these fish leap to take the fly as it hit the water.
A nice brookie caught on a hopper
The catch of the day was a brook trout caught in a very long and deep pool.  This trout was caught by casting to the mouth of the pool and skating the fly off to the side of the pool where large rocks were located.
A green frog sits on a rock in the river
All in all it was a nice day;  A lot of trout and a beautiful river.  I would recommend wearing shoes or wading boots even though you will not need waders.  I opted for sandals, and my feet are pretty beat up from slipping off of algae covered rocks.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't fished the Knife. Always wanted to, I'll give it a shot next time I'm up there. I can't find CR 11on google maps. Is the turn north or south of the river on 61?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sent you a google map of the intersection. I reccmomend fishing the little pools right upstream of where you park, and then hiking the stream all the way up to the next huge deep pool. There were lots of big trout in there, but I spent too much time fishing the little stuff in between

    ReplyDelete